Search This Blog

Sunday, June 24, 2012

A funny thing happened on the first leg of my New England tour today. While driving the whole time through Virginia, I wrote a song about "The Burg", my childhood hometown of Keansburg, NJ. Couldn't believe it came out as fast as it did, but it did. Now, before everyone that has or still lives there suggests what to include and not to include, it is only from my perspective from having grown up there (I really haven't grown up) during a wonderful but changing era. It's about the good memories, and not about the scumbags that used to hassle me, or about the then disintegrating infrastructure that was crumbling at the time. It was a special place for a child growing up in the 60's, with some rough edges. I must say that the good memories far outweigh the bad. Still have some work to do on it. We'll see what happens.

Today is the second day of the 2012 New England Solo Tour, which has me in place to perform today at the Taverna 5450 establishment in Fairfield, PA at around 5 or 6PM on the patio on a beautiful day. This is the first gig kicking off the tour. While I have cut back extensively on long term touring, the road is where I do my best writing and creating. It seems necessary to take to it now and then to restore my creative urge. No doubt I love being home, especially in this high tech age, I am very blessed to be able to go places to play music for a living. 

Luckily, I have a writing desk in the van to my right, where I can jot down thoughts and things needing doing on to a legal pad. Of course, it is in a position where I can scribble without looking, and therefore not pose a hazard to other drivers. Trust me on that! I keep an even comfortable speed with no sudden moves. Since I have done upward of 50,000 miles a year for over 15 years, that is an attitude that must be maintained.    

No comments:

Post a Comment